Monday, July 30, 2012

If it’s raining, there’s a cloud somewhere.

This week’s theme is “cloudy”.

I was going through my files to find good cloud pictures when I came across these.  You won’t see any clouds in them, but they were there.

Long enough ago that all these kids are out of high school, and some probably graduated college, we went on a team activity to a park just up the street from the school.  The day was perfect as five teachers and 200 students walked through the neighborhood to get there.

We assembled the students under the pavilion to give directions on the activity when the clouds let loose and it started pouring.

But that didn’t stop the kids from enjoying the playground.  We couldn’t have them to start on the activity, that would require them to be out in the rain and we didn’t want to do that.  But at the same time, it they wanted to play in it, we couldn’t stop them.

Some of them discovered that the boxes we brought their lunches in made pretty good umbrellas.

At least until they got completely soaked.

While others had the fashion sense not to walk around with cardboard on their heads, and found a different way to stay dry.

As usual in Utah, the rain lasted about 20 minutes, then the skies cleared up and we still had time to finish the activity.

14 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

And the kids, no doubt, enjoyed the impromptu rain dances more than the official activity. :)
Great pics.

Max Sartin said...

Oh yeah. Most of them were sad when the rain stopped and they knew they would have to get to work.

Alexia said...

But it's not work if it's outside!

Lisa Shafer said...

Of course. :)

Lisa Shafer said...

I also like how the boxes have "faces" on them (2 eyes and a mouth).

Max Sartin said...

Alexia - True, true.
Lisa - :) Got right past me.

fredamans said...

Very vibrant and colorful photos for such a drab day!

21 Wits said...

Oh yes, singing and playing in the rain! I must get my own cloud post together. I went through a few too already, and got stuck on enjoying other photos as well...and the clouds they just didn't keep getting in my way! Ha! Ha! Maybe I'll make meatballs for dinner tonight and clouds will be more in my thoughts! :)

Max Sartin said...

Karen - I've got the same problem. Whenever looking through pictures for the latest theme I spend a lot of time reminiscing.

Bob Scotney said...

You've set me thinking Max. I don't think I have any pictures taken in the rain; some snow but after it has fallen.
Kids will play in any weather given the chance.

carmilevy said...

I love their sense of spirit. And yours! I can think of any number of teachers who would have kept them inside. Instead, you turned it into an adventure - and doubtless taught them a thing or two about life in the process. What a wonderful series!

Patti said...

Love the story. Made me want to go play in the rain. :)

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I'm reminded of a song...
~

Barbara said...

What fun photos! It's so dry across the country that I think we will see more scenes like these when rain falls, even for just a few minutes. I like the action in these shots, and the bright colors take on extra richness in the rain. Wonderful!